Saturday, March 5, 2011

Fentiman's Curiosity Cola

This is the second variety of Fentiman's to grace the blog. Fentiman's fills a niche of old world sodas, owing to its historical beginnings and old world brewing recipes.

Due to their trend towards more ancestral flavors I'm half expecting this to taste more like the early cola beverages of the late 1800's. But with a qualifier like 'Curious' anything is up for grabs.

The aroma from this bottle is very rich. This is the type of smell I'd expect from a turn of the century soda counter in an old pharmacy to smell like. Likewise the taste owes much more to a kola nut than modern colas. It's commonly known that the sense of smell and taste are closely linked, which is why people commonly make analogies of tastes to things they would never touch their tongue to, but I can say that the taste transports me to any number of antique stores I've walked through with their stale air and aging wood, paper and metal items. Because most brewed beverages obtain their carbonation from natural processes I'd venture to guess that's why it has a light carbonation with small bubbles. I think this would be a great cola to drink while also enjoying an old world meal like a dinner of haggis in Scotland. Perhaps the next time I'm in Glasgow I'll make my way back to the Drum & Monkey with a bottle of this to give it a go.

No comments: