Saturday, August 13, 2011

Big Red

Grover C. Thomsen and R.H. Roark were chemists for Perfection Barber and Beauty Supply in Waco, Texas when they started making their own flavor extracts. Together, in 1937, they struck out on their own and began selling Sun Tang Red Cream Soda. The name changed to Sun Tang Big Red Cream Soda in 1959, then again to just Big Red ten years later. It was only available regionally, in Central and Southern Texas and around the Louisville, Kentucky and parts of Southern Indiana until the late 1970's. It is currently produced under license by several bottling companies, which include Dr Pepper Snapple Group and the Pepsi Group. Over the years Big Red Inc. has also added some other flavors to their collection, but are usually harder to find. Big Red is iconic enough to have garnered copy cats over the years such as Coca-Cola's Red Flash.

It's odd to ask someone to describe flavors sometimes and that can certainly be said when talking about a red cream soda. Most people have an idea of what cream soda tastes like even without ever having it because they know what "cream" is. But what does a color like red taste like? Once you open a bottle of Big Red, it's smells like bubble-gum. The aroma just pops! It's like a circus in a bottle. The flavor itself comes from a mixture of different citrus oils with vanilla. Big Red isn't as creamy flavored as some of it's imitators. Rather, they focus more on the "red." It definitely is reminiscent of a candy/bubble-gum flavoring yet it isn't. I'm reminded of the time one of my British friends asked me what Root Beer tasted like and the only thing I could say was, "It tastes like root beer." It definitely has a more child-like following. You won't often see adults drinking it outside of Texas and that's probably because most fans of this drink only enjoy it because they liked it as kids. So if you're 6-12 you'll be a big fan. If you're trying it for the first time as a 40-year old, you're likely to be disappointed.

7 comments:

Matt C. said...

I was a big fan as a kid, living in Texas. I moved away at the age of 15 and never saw Big Red again until I visited San Antonio a few years ago. I must say It isn't like what I remembered, but the Retro Big Red is just as good, and I love the fact that my kids love it just as much. I only wish Big Red was sold closer to me in New Hampshire.

Anonymous said...

Have to say I completely disagree with the last sentence, "If you're trying it for the first time as a 40-year old, you're likely to be disappointed."

Everyone I know who tries Big Red for the first time fall in love with it. It is crisp and refreshing no matter how old you are. I sometimes even take it overseas when I travel and the adults think it is very unique and tasty. --DB, Houston TX--

Maribel said...

Ross, this is definitely your opinion.
Big Red is not a toy for only children or only as a child is this drink enjoyed. Big Red is a drink that is enjoyed by many, age not mattering. I do not like Coca Cola...is it b/c I'm not young enough, could it be that I'm not old enough...NO. It just does not agree with my taste buds. Same thing with Big Red...some (quite a few) people like it, and some simply, do not.
Maybe the "age" comment could've been left out of your blog....just my opinion.

NM said...

Big Red tastes like the color of red, if red had a taste.
If you try to compare it to Barq's Red Cream, you will be hung out to dry, as they taste nothing a like.
There's really nothing like a Big Red. From Louisville, and have enjoyed Big Red all my life.
Long Live Big Red, the original and best "red" drink :)

Anonymous said...

as a avid drinker or Big Red for years...I have introduced it to as many friends as possible and every last one of them are over the age of 25...loved the taste and wanted more...I'm sorry to pop your bubble on your opinion about the 40 yr old market, I have friends that age also who loved the flavor.....LONG LIVE BIG RED...and push this Drink nationally in every market.

Ross said...

I appreciate each and every person who visits my blog. That said, blogging is going to be subjective. I also liked Big Red as a kid. I think my taste buds merely evolved over time. You're all welcome to disagree and enjoy it, after all every flavor out in the market just gives breadth to the soda-verse.

Anonymous said...

I grew up in southern Indiana, so had the pleasure of drinking Big Red as a kid. The taste has changed some over the years, but its still my favorite pop. We were thrilled when we were able to start buying it in other places.