Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Faygo Pineapple Orange

When I hear "Faygo" I think of my childhood. When I was little, Saturday nights at my house were pizza and movie night. Of course with pizza we had to have some soda. In the 1980's I never saw Faygo sold any other way than individual glass bottles, but it seems there were cans available since the 1960's. You can find it in cans today too, but the glass bottles are gone, replaced with plastic. In those days Kroger carried a pretty good selection of flavors. I usually stuck with grape, strawberry or root beer and those bottles seemed enormous when you're a small kid.

Faygo began in Detroit in 1907 as Feigenson Brothers Bottling Works. Russian brothers and immigrants, Ben and Perry Feigenson started business with just three flavors (strawberry, grape and fruit punch), which were based on family recipes for cake frosting. The Feigenson Brothers shortened their product's name to Faygo in 1921. It's interesting to think about now, but in 1922 they delivered their soda to your door. The business was later handed down to the Feigenson's sons in the 1940's and was later sold to National Beverage Corp in 1987. Today, Faygo produces dozens of different flavors.

The smell of this Pineapple Orange is a little strange. While it's not a strong smell, it's a bit reminiscent of some sort of antiseptic to me. I wasn't expecting too much with this soda since I'm normally not a fan of soda's with mixed fruit flavors. This isn't a terrible flavor, but I think the orange flavoring throws off the pineapple too much. Maybe I'll be able to compare it to their pineapple sometime in the future. Unfortunately, I also think that plastic bottles can affect flavor over time, while glass does not interact with the soda on a chemical level like plastic will. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Faygo was first bottled at 118 Benton Street Detroit Michigan.
faygo-a-1-history