Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Butter Beer

Butter Beer comes to us from Cooper's Cave Ale Company in Glens Falls, NY. A family affair, they began brewing beer in 1995 and opened their pub/brewhouse in 1999. As many know, beer brewing and brewing for sodas are closely tied and many micro-brewers also produce sodas. 

The very name on this bottle is what tempted me to give it a go. As always, I like to take some deep inhalations over a bottle of soda I've never tasted before. This bottle is smells sweet and creamy like a good old fashioned cream soda should. Upon tasting, I find the initial sense to be evocative of a butterscotch pudding. The cream flavoring follows a little too quickly and rids the butterscotch from your tongue. It would be nice if it were possible to lengthen the time the butterscotch stays with you. It is unfortunate however, that I'm finding the finish to be a tad "chemical" in taste. I couldn't say if that finish was due to the flavor extracts or a preservative. For this collection of tastes as a whole I'd say this particular flavor isn't my cup of tea. If you are apt to try a bottle, perhaps pair it with a greasy burger to coat your taste buds with.

No comments: