Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Taylor's Tonics Eggnog Fizz

After a a long hiatus due to relocating and other things I'm bringing you all a holiday themed post tonight. I've found a four pack from Taylor's Tonics Botanical Brewery out of California called the Holiday Fizz collection and Christmas day is probably the most opportune time to taste it. 

Taylor's Tonics is sort of a fusion brewer. By that I mean that they take old fashioned brewing techniques and collections of herbs and spices in their drinks. According to them, they also aim to include at least one thing with a health benefit to each of their concoctions.

Here I've got a bottle of Eggnog Fizz made with organic Vanilla, Nutmeg, Ginger and Allspice as well as some sort of rum flavoring. While eggnog is okay, I've never been someone who drank it with aplomb just because it's the holidays. It's aroma is strong with the scent of allspice and nutmeg. Though I'm no chef, my love of pumpkin pie and pumpkin bread has made me acutely aware of those smells. It also carries a hint of cream soda. 

At first sip I find it rather drab. The scent of the spices is not backed up in the flavor... it's only a moment after hitting the palate that you taste a wisp of the spices. I was expecting more of a creamier feel but that isn't so. The egginess you get with a homemade batch of eggnog only rears its head in the aftertaste left in your mouth. Let's face it... these theme packs are more of a novelty, and that's okay. However I do expect more, so this is a bottle you can skip.

No comments: