Saturday, May 11, 2013

Simpson Spring White Birch Soda

Something my Aunt discovered for me, it's nice to find some of these "historical" sodas. And Simpson Spring seems to have quite the history. Hailing from South Easton, Massachusetts, which  lies South of Boston these sodas come from spring water that has been in use since precolonial times. In the late 1800's Frederick Howard began bottling and selling water from the springs. Like many spring water bottlers, they eventually began marketing several sodas as well. It isn't a huge leap to sodas when you already have a naturally bubbling water source and all the bottling equipment needed.

There is a very wintergreen aroma arising from this bottle. It has a very nice effervescence. I was expecting a much lower carbonation from a natural spring. Perhaps additional gases are added before bottling. Unlike previous birch sodas I've tasted, that tend to taste much closer to a root beer, this is very much like drinking a certs breath mint. It's crisp and refreshing and I'd highly recommend this as a summertime cooler or after dinner drink.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I got a shout out on a blog. I have been enjoying the Fentimans Dandelion and Burdock soda. The breath mint soda does not sound that appealing to me though.