Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Canada Dry Cranberry Ginger Ale

Oddly I just realized I hadn't yet made a post about Canada Dry's ginger ale. Canada Dry is one of the better ginger ale makers in my opinion. I was really excited when I found this in the grocery store again this season. I discovered it last year when they must have been trying to get rid of some stock left over from the holidays and I only found a single bottle. The label wasn't clear if it was seasonal or not but sadly that turned out to be the case. When I saw mass quantities in stock just before Thanksgiving I bought up a bunch of the stuff. 

Canada Dry, like many other soda brands, began with a pharmacist who made soda water. This time the pharmacist was John McLaughlin, in Toronto, Canada in 1890. It took him some time, but in 1904 he began selling Canada Dry Pale Dry Ginger Ale. The drink became a hit in the states after he shipped to New York City in 1919, leading to a production plant there as well. The drink's popularity spread rapidly, sparked in part by prohibition laws in the U.S., which led to its use as a mixer to help cover the taste of poorly made hooch. Like many other soda makers, the company went through a series of sales and consolidations. Today it is part of the Dr Pepper Snapple Group based in Texas. 

The aroma of this particular flavor is just heavenly. The cranberry flavoring is just right, not overpowering like some mixed berry drinks. You can still taste the ginger out of it and the carbonation plays in the mouth perfectly. I cannot say enough about how much I love this seasonal soda and wish I could find it year round, though that may take something out of the anticipation of getting it. I highly recommend buying some if you have the chance. It's also ideal for holiday parties and currently only seen in 2-liter bottles.

1 comment:

check my blog said...

Your article is very helpful for me. I will follow your instruction. Thank you.