Friday, September 16, 2022

1893 Citrus Cola from Pepsi

 

A little while ago Pepsi created a craft series of sodas named 1893. There were four flavors including Original Cola, Citrus Cola, Ginger Cola, and Black Currant Cola. This can of Citrus Cola contains the same number of calories, 150, as a can of classic Pepsi cola. 

I do find the packaging of this series very nice. An elegant touch in tall, slim cans for a craft experience. Interestingly, they chose orange for the color of this Citrus Cola can, which made me think it would be imbued with an orange flavor, but the can mentions grapefruit essence. I do quite like that the label states the ingredients are Fair Trade Certified though. Opening the can does reveal a grapefruit-like aroma. Though the can does not mention cane sugar, based on the softness of this I think it may in fact use cane sugar rather than high fructose corn syrup. Cane sugar being far superior in my opinion and often, I find, giving a softer sweetness. What I like about this is how rounded the overall taste is. There is no overt cola flavor and yet the fruitiness is light and unassuming. You'd be forgiven for even believing this was a cola drink at all, let alone something from Pepsi. So far it has my endorsement and makes me look forward to some of the other flavors in this series. 

No comments: