Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Fitz's Key Lime Soda

It seems absolutely wild to me that this is the first time Fitz's is making an appearance on my blog. Living in the Midwest, I have seen them for years. Subconsciously I must have just been putting them off. Fitz's hails from St. Louis, MO. But as I've mentioned before, some time in the late 1990's or early 2000's they has a small bottling operation viewable through a window at Kansas City's Union Station, which only lasted a few years as it's no longer there. They began in 1947 producing root beer for the Fitz's drive-in, a burger joint. Both sodas and burgers ceased to be made any longer when they closed shop in 1976. Fitz's sodas made a return in 1985, but I don't know if the ownership of the brand had traded hands by then or not. 

As the weather is finally beginning to warm up, this feels like a good time to review some refreshing flavors for summer. This bottle features a wonderful lime scent on opening the bottle. Owing to the cane sugar, the sweetness is rounded nicely and I get a nice sweet citrus pop of flavor when taking a swig. It has a subtle amount of carbonation. I feel like the tartness appears closer to the finish. Overall, this is a nice soda with good flavor that doesn't become too tart and also isn't overly sugary. Definitely a good choice for some summer cookouts. 

No comments: