Thursday, July 20, 2023

Green Cola

While they've been around since 2011, I only recently came across this cola beverage from the Green Cola Company. They state their goal is creating healthier refreshments. The can lists it as having no calories, no sugar (they use stevia as a sweetener, no aspartame, no preservatives, no phosphoric acid, and apparently natural caffeine from green coffee beans??? I think coffee bean use in a soda is probably a first for me. A 12oz can of regular Mountain Dew has 54mg of caffeine, while this can of Green Cola has just 37mg. The amount of sodium is on par with other sodas at 40mg per can. While Green Cola appears to be their flagship, they do apparently have other flavors. 

I don't readily smell much when cracking open a can of this stuff. Well it certainly tastes different. If you can adapt to the change in taste from the giant mass market of sodas this seems like it would make a healthier alternative, but to be clear... it does taste different. It has a cola flavor, but its light handed and that flavor quickly dissipates from the tongue. But I think the stevia and other flavorings they use make the biggest difference. Its not quite as smooth as you might wish for it to be. There's an almost tea-like quality to it. The flavor itself has a bit of "grittiness" to it, not the liquid. I think that might be the best way to describe it. To be fair it can be a challenge to describe flavors that are created with out of the norm ingredients. I am delighted to say however, that it's totally drinkable. Just typing the first paragraph above about it made me cringe to think what it might actually taste like. As I've said it's not the normal cola flavor, but why should it be? With a few minutes you quickly get used it and its not bad at all but you will pay a little more for this than your Coke or Pepsi. It gets my thumbs up enough to encourage you to try it if you should find it. 


No comments: