Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Okc Soda Blueberry Acai

It's been a long time since I passed through Oklahoma City, but on my most recent visit to Kansas City I found this can from Okc Soda Co. Founded in late 2019 by three guys from the beer brewing business, Michael Crowder, Mike Noonan, and Pat Krencicki, had a desire to create sodas with more whimsical flavors. You'll note on the labeling that these have no high fructose corn syrup (they use cane sugar), no caffeine, and reverse osmosis filtered water. They have some flavors you might expect, such as root beer, lemon-lime, and orange cream... but what interests me is some of their more unique options, like strawberry shortcake and this can of blueberry acai. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find other flavors at the shop where I found this, which I note for some transparency because I've not found blueberry sodas to be very good in the past. Maybe this one will surprise me, but I do hope to hunt down some of their other flavors in the near future on some of my trips. 

There isn't a massive release of carbonation when opening the can, but there is a strong blueberry aroma that reminds me of fresh blueberries in my cereal. Pouring out a little to get a sense of the carbonation and color, it has more of a slight blue tint instead of a disturbing dark color. I can't recall actually ever eating acai berries, but I enjoy blueberries fresh, in waffles, yogurt, etc. I can say that the taste is very true to the flavor of blueberries. It isn't overly sweetened like some brands that end up tasting like candy, which probably is partially owed to the use of cane sugar over HFCs. As I've mentioned before I find that using cane sugar gives a softer sweetness. So I am pleasantly surprised that to have found a delightful blueberry soda. 

No comments: