Tuesday, August 1, 2023

Mezzo Mix

What an interesting find at the World Market this was. This can of Mezzo Mix is made by Coca-Cola and is canned and sold in Germany. Back in May I posted about Schwip Schwap a German made cola and orange soda from PepsiCo. It would appear this is Coca-Cola's answer to that. Just like in America, Pepsi and Coca-Cola battle each other for market share often with their own takes on the same flavors. As I remarked before, it's a little weird though that us Americans get cola with lemon, cola with lime, but Germans get cola with orange. Since it is so difficult to find cola with orange here, it makes me wonder if it is equally as difficult to find cola with lemon or lime there. I certainly don't recall coming across lemon or lime variations in the UK on any my trips there, nor did I come across either such drinks in Austria. 

I'm a little off topic so let me return to talking about Mezzo Mix. Apparently, this brand from Coca-Cola was released back in 1973 in what was then West Germany. However both PepsiCo and Coca-Cola are copying an earlier cola and orange soda, named Spezi, introduced in the 1950's. There are also generic or store-brand versions as well. The tagline pictured at the bottom of the can, "cola küsst orange," translates as "cola kisses orange." 

A crack of the can shows good carbonation, but there's very little scent. A tinge of orange in the air but hardly any cola scent. I've got to say that I personally favor this one over the Schwip Schwap option. Whereas Schwip Schwap gave me a more powerful orange flavor, the orange in this drink is more subtle. It's much more like a cola with an orange garnish rather than mixing equal parts cola and orange soda, so I'm giving the edge to Coca-Cola on this one. But if you favor stronger orange, opt for one of the other cola and orange brands. 

No comments: