Sunday, April 4, 2010

Coco Fizz


Coco Fizz comes from the Durango Soda Company in Durango, CO, which has been operating since 2002. The company makes a line up of various flavors under the name Zuberfizz and also makes the Coco Fizz drink seen here. I am making an assumption here, but due to the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory logo on the bottle I gather they helped to create this flavor.

This is a lightly carbonated chocolate drink with a heavenly cocoa aroma upon opening. A quick look at the ingredients shows it is made with cane sugar, but no milk products. I was not sure what to expect with this drink as it is a translucent soda with a color akin to that of an apple cider, unlike a thick creamy looking Yoo-hoo. Oddly, if you let this drink hang on your tongue you can't taste the chocolate, but the flavor appears as you drink it. It is a milk-chocolate taste with creamy tones, but not as terrific as the initial aroma. It is an odd sensation because I am used to chocolate drinks as milk, that is thick, milky and non-carbonated. Several minutes after tasting I still have the after-taste of what I can only liken to the aroma of my younger brother's old Hershey Chocolate teddy bear he had when we were very little that smelled of chocolate no matter what other mess it was covered in... a sort of "chemical chocolate". I won't be adding it to my regular line up, but tasting this is a whole different experience. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really like this soda -- it tastes like an increasingly-hard-to-find old fashioned egg cream.