Friday, April 2, 2010

Hotlips Boysenberry


Portland, Oregon based Hotlips pizzerias began in 1984 as a family business. Since 2005 they have also bottled a variety of brewed sodas using cane sugar and regionally grown fruits. Their lineup currently includes flavors such as pear, raspberry, boysenberry, blueberry, black raspberry and apple.  

Because I've never tasted a boysenberry, this will be my first try as well as my first taste of a Hotlips soda. It has a deep smell of dark berry and a sort of stem-like aroma and the carbonation is quite light. This soda has two distinct flavors in it. The first being that of the taste of a dark berry similar to a blackberry which is quite nice. As that taste passes it ends with a stem-like aftertaste which I don't care for. Because I am not familiar with the taste of boysenberries I am not sure if the "stem" flavor I am sensing comes from the berry or the brewing process itself, but I imagine it is the berry. I imagine that a boysenberry flavor is something of an acquired taste. I won't be drinking this one again but will be out to taste their other offerings in the future and I am really looking forward to the pear. 

No comments: