Wednesday, September 28, 2011

100 Flavor Fountain Machine

I just returned from lunch and was excited to finally use one of these machines. I had heard about this a few years ago but had not encountered one in person until today at one of the franchise locations of the regional deli chain Mr. Goodcents.

These machines operate similar to a printer in that they store several cartridges, which are filled with flavored syrups rather than printer dyes. A computer lets you choose from a multitude of flavor varieties, some of which are not found anywhere else, like Grape Sprite. They can do this because the computer mixes the flavor syrups only as needed instead of in mass batches like the familiar soda fountain "bag-in-a-box" concept which is a large bladder of one flavored syrup a standard soda fountain just mixes with soda water at the time it's pressed.

I of course opted to chose a variety of flavor I had not had before, Raspberry Coke. It was a nice change up. The raspberry flavor remained true to the fruit taste, however I felt it the mixture was too heavy on the raspberry. Because I could almost not taste the Coke, it could have easily been just a raspberry soda. I'll have to try the orange cola next time. This machine will probably keep me coming back to that location for some time simply for the novelty of some new flavors.

No comments: