Thursday, August 30, 2012

Skeleteens Brain Wash (Blue)

Another bottle from the now defunct Skeleteens company. You can read up on their Fukola Cola here. Skeleteens was chasing the "counter-culture" of the beverage world with sometimes unusual flavors and what could be described as "individualistic" branding and marketing. 

If you've noticed that the title of this post indicates this is blue, it isn't because I'm pointing out an odd color. No, it's because Skeleteens, for some odd reason, made both a red and blue version, though I believe they are different flavors.

This stuff smells blue. It's a fruity kind of grape scent. Upon first glance the stuff looks an earthly dark blue color with scary bits of stuff floating along at the bottle's neck. I'm hoping that the bits on the inside of the bottle are due to the many herbal ingredients used and not because they used dirty bottles. And while the color is dark and foreboding on a counter or shelf, it's a beautiful royal blue when backlit by something as bright as my monitor.

A first sip packed an unexpected kick to my mouth. It's only lightly carbonated but tastes of lemon or orange peel and has a tart punch. The more sips I take the more I'm also picking up on an herbal oil of some sort but can't place my finger on. The tartness also leaves my mouth watering a bit after each swig. It gives a hint of a woodsy aura in the aftertaste. I should also say that my head feels a bit stretched after half a bottle, as though the base of my brain is sinking while the top is rising. I wonder if the name came from this. One thing is for sure, sodas with strange mixtures of herbs always hide a surprise in their bottle. And yes, my tongue and lips are deep blue.

1 comment:

Captain Schmideo said...

I just had a bottle of this yesterday. Not only does it turn your lips blue, but 24 hours later, my poo is still green!