Saturday, September 23, 2017

Mountain Dew Green Label

Mountain Dew has experimented with a wide range of flavors over the years, some to an extent that it boggles me how you can call it Mountain Dew if it has nothing in common since so many people associate Mountain Dew with a specific flavor profile. Green Label has been used in two different methods by Mountain Dew. In 2007 the "green label" products were a line of limited edition aluminum bottles with artwork by many artists in the motif of the "eXtreme" sports crowd they were courting in their promotions and sponsorships in those days. In 2017 however, it isn't clear if their new Green Label drink has anything to do with that marketing or if it is an off shoot of it, since Green Apple Kiwi doesn't strike me as being in the same line up as some of their "extreme" flavors like "voltage", "code red", "live wire" and "supernova". One curiosity of Mountain Dew's market spread is that of both the action sports crowd as well as video gamers who are by and large inert.

For more on the history of Mountain Dew in general, see my earlier post here. I was expecting a satisfying "pffffsshhhhh" release of carbonation when I opened the can and got none at all, making me wonder if this was even carbonated. In tasting it, I can confirm it has carbonation. It is much more apple flavored than kiwi. It's a tart apple like that of the peel of a ripe granny smith apple. The kiwi is tasted in its aftertaste. The flavor combination is not something I'm wild about and reminds me more of some of the energy drinks on the market, which is probably fitting given Mountain Dew's target market. 

No comments: