Thursday, March 10, 2011

Cidona

In an effort to get all those tastings I did on my trip posted on here, I'm still working on a small back catalog. 

Here's a tasty little drink called Cidona. Although I picked up the bottle seen here in Glasgow, there is a larger fan base in Ireland, which lies on the other side of the Irish Sea from Scotland, in case you are geographically challenged. I suppose the reason it's more popular there is because it was born there. Cidona was introduced in 1955 by Bulmers, Ltd., who had already been making Bulmers Irish Cider. Now I'm not much for alcohol but I do enjoy Irish Cider... and fittingly I enjoyed Cidona too. 

Cidona is thin like a soft drink, but also vastly more translucent than any apple cider you'll find pressed at a fall festival in America. It's nearly clear, but with a slightly yellowish hint of color. The aroma was not all that strong, but what it lacks in smell it makes up for in flavor. It has a deep apple taste with only a small amount of that acidity that gives apples their "bite". Which is a little ironic given that their tag line is "Bites into thirst". But that's okay with me, because I found it to be just right. 

If you aren't big on orange flavor in the morning this good with a breakfast, but perfect for any fall day. 

No comments: