Monday, May 27, 2013

Fentiman's Ginger Beer

Fentiman's is an old UK brand that I've featured before. There's a little more about their history on an earlier post. And from what little direct contact I've had with them, they've been very cordial. I really enjoyed the funny Victorian themed cards and the novel Quaffer they sent me.

In the interest of full-disclosure, I'm not a fan of ginger beers. I find them to be too strong and usually have a spicy heat to them. This particular ginger beer smells very much like a fragrant evergreen tree. Fentiman's includes juniper, speedwell and yarrow with their ginger beer. Speedwell is a family of perennial flowering plants. You can certainly feel the presence juniper adds to this flavor as well. Yarrow has a long history of herbal/medicinal use as an astringent, diaphoretic and used to treat topical wounds. These ingredients fall very much in line with Fentiman's traditional brewing of old-world sodas. All that said, it's still a strong flavor that brings a slight burning sensation to the back of my throat and isn't for me.

No comments: