Saturday, October 22, 2011

The Sopranos Chianti Soda

There's nothing to explain about the history of this soda because there really isn't any. A few years ago the folks at Imbibe Inc, a company who focuses on beverage flavoring and manufacturing for private label drinks of all sorts licensed the name "The Sopranos" from HBO to make a line of Italian themed sodas. There are currently three flavors available: Chianti, Amaretto and Limoncello. 

I actually stumbled upon this bottle on a recent jaunt, hunting for new sodas. While I was never a view of the HBO series the flavors had me intrigued so I grabbed a bottle. Those who regularly read this blog know I'm not a big alcoholic beverage drinker and have found the few wines and ports I've tried a bit pungent for me, so I really won't be able to compare this to the taste of actual chianti. 

The aroma is not heavy but actually smells a bit like an alcoholic beverage with a hint of grape. I find it to be very wine-like in flavor. It has a bite like a dry wine but the background sweetness of a soda. This is not a soda I would ever drink for enjoyment of flavor but it's interesting nonetheless. I'd be interested in comparing it side by side with the real deal or getting the opinion of an actual Italian on the taste. I'm hoping to grab a bottle of the Limoncello in the future.

No comments: