Friday, November 18, 2011

Abbondio Rossa

Abbondio was founded in 1889 in Tortona, Italy, which is about halfway between Milan and Genoa. They have been producing unique recipes since their beginning. Abbondio is known for high-quality. Their packaging has undergone some reinvention which is not reflected in the image posted here of this particular bottle. Much of their current branding is centered on 40's era American Pin-ups. 

Rossa, which translates as "red" is said to include over 10 essences and often used as a mixer. I'm a tad apprehensive about my first taste so give it a good whiff. It smells like a combination of ginger beer and nutmeg. It's got quite the bitter kick to it. I definitely see this more as a mixer than anything else... and even then I'm not sure it's a mixer I'd be interested in. Because I feel like I'm sipping on bitters, I'm going to pass on finishing this bottle. It looks nice though.

No comments: