Thursday, November 17, 2011

Red Rock Golden Ginger Ale

Red Rock was started in 1885 in Atlanta, Georgia by Lee Hagan and G.T. Dodd. Ginger ale was their first soda. Their cola flavor was not sold until 1938, and was the only product Babe Ruth endorsed personally. Red Rock depended on a strong distribution network which grew to have bottlers in 47 states in 1958, when there were still only 48 states in the union. 

Produced with cane sugar, it has a sharp ginger aroma. I'm not sure they should call this ginger ale as my first sip proved it just as potent as ginger beer. In fact, it has that throaty burn that you can expect from ginger beer, even more so than some of the ginger beers I have had. It's too bad, I was expecting something light and refreshing. I think hard liquor drinkers will enjoy this better than I. 

No comments: