Sunday, November 20, 2011

Nichol Kola

I was thrilled to find a bottle of Nichol Kola in Oklahoma one day. Although my collection of vintage soda signs is admittedly pretty small, it started with a Nichol Kola sign I picked up at an antique store while hunting for vintage soda bottle caps. If you're interested in collecting vintage signage Nichol Kola is a good place to start because for some odd reason there is a spate of Nichol signs in the antique store and flea market circuits. I'm not sure why there are so many in circulation but it means they are often a little more affordable. Aside from that I enjoy the design of their signs, which is why I have three now, one in NOS condition which waits in my garage to be cleaned of the paper packing adhered to it. Due to having these signs I often wondered what it tasted like but was well aware the company went under. 

Enter Orca Beverages, mentioned before in this blog, who have been taking up the cause to license and bottle many old vintage brands of soda again.

While it has the aroma of RC cola, it's hard not to taste the coriander and cinnamon. These flavorings hang in your mouth long after drinking it. Its certainly a change up from the straight cola flavor I was expecting. It's familiar and different at the same time and so I'm happy to recommend trying it. 



No comments: