Saturday, November 5, 2011

Kola Inglesa

This is a soda that hails from Peru with a name that translates as "English Cola." Kola Inglesa is popular in South America and dates back to 1912. Although begun independently, that brand was purchased by Coca-Cola.

Although the label translates as Cola, the bright red color is the first clue this won't be cola flavored. Upon uncapping it I sense a cherry-cream-like smell. My first sip has me taken aback by a very strange sort of taste. I'm having trouble placing it. It has traces of cherry but it reminds me a bit of Irn-Bru in that it has something of a metallic background to it and something chemically almost like ammonia. It's not undrinkable, but it's just... strange. I can't imagine pairing this with anything other than junk food. If you find a bottle, try it and let me know what you think about this distinctive flavor. 

No comments: