Monday, July 1, 2024

Schnucks Soda Shoppe Root Beer

I grabbed a couple bottles of this root beer on a recent soda hunting expedition through Illinois. Schnucks is a grocery store chain founded in 1939, based out of St. Louis, Missouri and many stores can be found in Illinois. I really should try to review more store brand sodas since there are so many of them.

Opening the bottle releases that cellar-like root beer scent with a hint of cedar. I pick up a decent amount of carbonation, more than I would have ventured based on the lack of much release when the cap came off the bottle. It has a bit of creaminess to it, but only a tiny amount. One of the reasons this stuck out at me on the shelf was the label illustrations. For a grocery store brand its really unusual to have so much design work. Store brands typically feature such generic block coloring and little else so I was hoping for a magical discovery. The use of cane sugar rather than high-fructose corn syrup softens the drink nicely. This is a good tasting root beer, but not so unusually good as to make it all that memorable.  

No comments:

Post a Comment